Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Blog Post 4: Mun Landing

This will likely be my shortest blog post in terms of word length but also one of the longest in terms of content length.
I have landed on the Mun, yesterday sometime, and after a night of processing I can post the landing, but only the link, here. Perhaps it's for the best, however, as it is an hour and sixteen minutes long. I haven't even watched it all, besides when I recorded it.

I'll go through some of the main issues I had while flying this rocket. I deleted the recordings of my failures, not realizing that they could be useful here. My bad!

Third-to-last stage blew up the last stage - By this I am referring to the unrecorded time, which happened many times, where the rocket failed because the base was hit by the decoupled engines and tanks and blew up. I wasn't able to identify for sure why this happened, but I would put my money on it being that the rocket was going fast and some force was spinning the decoupled stage. To address this issue, I cut the engines until I felt that the decoupled stage was far enough away from the remaining rocket.
I crashed into the Mun many, many times - This was more a result of poor flying skills than anything else. I flew my rocket and each time I accidentally did so into the dark side of the Mun. This resulted in me not being able to see the surface of the Mun. The last time I got lucky more than anything, because I was a poor pilot. Luckily I learned how to make up for this with asparagus staging and the like.
I almost crashed into the Mun while flying away from the Mun - I was able to fix this, but it was an unbelievably close call when I ran overtime and almost crashed into the Mun. From this, I learned to be more careful when flying about 16 tons of metal in a vacuum.
 
I don't really have much else to say, but I did take some screenshots of the latter portion of the video so that you don't have to watch it all but still get to see some of what I saw.
Here you go!


We have landed on the Mun!

Melgel takes the first steps on the Mun!
Melgel trips, falls, and struggles to get up

After Melgel gets up, he places a flag on the Mun

Some time later, we have returned to Kerbin
Splashdown!
I'll be sure to get the comments in on a different blog post tomorrow or the day after. Oh, and remember, a picture is worth a thousand words.

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool!!! I still can't believe that you're literally doing rocket science as your project. Like, legitimate rocket science. I could never even fathom most of the stuff I've seen on your blog. Seeing the progress you've made and things you achieved has been awesome, and I like how you listed things you did wrong and where you can improve! Can't wait to see what you bring to the table at your TED talk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Zoe!
      I am nervous for the the TED talk tomorrow, but I do hope you enjoy it.

      Delete